As we have just entered summer, I think the most appropriate colour to learn about is Green – the colour of nature. It symbolises growth, harmony, freshness, new life and fertility. Green has strong emotional correspondence with safety. Psychologically it relates to balance and harmony of the mind, the body and the emotions. It assists in decision making by helping us to see all sides clearly. Physiologically, it balances people’s emotions, creating a sense of calm.
Green has great healing power. It is the most restful colour for the human eye; it can improve vision. Green suggests stability and endurance. In heraldry, green indicates growth and hope.
Use a mid or light green to indicate safety and freshness when advertising medical or beauty products. Green is directly related to nature, so you can use it to promote ‘green’ products. Dull, darker green is commonly associated with money, the financial world and banking.
Dark green is associated with money, ambition and greed.
Yellow-green can indicate sickness, cowardice and jealousy.
Aqua is associated with emotional healing and protection.
Olive green is the traditional colour of peace.
Positive Colour Meanings:
- growth and vitality, renewal and restoration
- self-reliance, reliability and dependability
- being tactful, emotionally balanced and calm
- nature lover and family oriented
- practical and down to earth
- sympathetic, compassionate and nurturing
- generous, kind and loyal with a high moral sense
- adaptable and flexible
- encourages ‘social joining’ of clubs and other groups, a need to belong
Negative Colour Meanings:
- indifferent and over-cautious
- envious, selfish, greedy